As Easter approaches we are gearing up for the usual seasonal spate of dogs that have guzzled away on Easter Eggs. Chocolate is a well known toxin for dogs, that can cause all host of issues. In general; the darker the chocolate the greater the risk. Avoidance is obviously paramount, but we know just how sneaky some of our pets can be when food is involved (not naming any one breed, *cough* Labradors). If your pet is to ingest chocolate, please do not hesitate to contact us, as if we act quickly we can minimise any risk. Other common poisons we can see include grapes and raisins which can cause irreversible kidney damage, so guard those hot cross buns.
Cats, whilst slightly more discerning with their tastes, have their own issues. Lilies are one of the most serious toxicities we see in cats, with every part of the plant being highly toxic. In our view it is just not worth the risk of having these flowers in your home, as even a small amount of pollen on the coat can be fatal.
Even innocuous foods that we eat on a daily basis can be potentially dangerous, such as onions and garlic. Medications are another common poisoning we see, so make sure that access to any of these is restricted. And finally, anything we consider toxic to humans we have to regard as potentially dangerous to animals.
If in doubt, give us a shout!
Written by Vet Chris Wilson
Concerned your pet has consumed a harmful toxin? At our East Dulwich branch you have access to the clinic seven day a week including 09:00-19:00 on weekends. Please call the practice immediately on 020 8299 2388 if you think your pet has consumed something toxic, is unwell or injured. Our team will be here to support you.
Rest assured, outside of our opening hours you can rely on our out of hours providers for emergency care. Simply click here for details.